Too often I hear people complaining that they can’t afford to travel, they don’t have the time or they have a family now and their travelling days are over.
I’m requesting that you stop for a moment and ask yourself – Have you considered the infinite possibilities that lay in your own beautiful backyard?
Just because you’re not flying overseas doesn’t mean you’re not travelling. Have you seen a quarter of the amazing spots that are in your country?
I am lucky to have been born into such an incredibly diverse country but sometimes I meet travellers who have seen more of Australia than I have, which by the way is a lot… I grew up in a family that loved camping and getting away at every school holidays – I can not count the number of times we drove to the Gold Coast but had a new experience every time by changing up the hotel and suburb we stayed in. I’ve also spent the last 8 years plus working in the travel industry and have been sent to some INCREDIBLE places to review.
This got me thinking… How can you make the most out of your part of the world and feed that wanderlust you have burning inside you?
- Treat yourself to a meal at that new cafe / restaurant or make your own picnic and take it somewhere new
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger and ask them what they recommend locally – Not only are you finding out something new you are also creating connection and could be making that persons day… You could even meet the love of your life or at least a new friend… You never know
- Create a bucket list of experiences you want to try in your city or town – If you do your research first you will find there are a host of these that are free and lots of family friendly ones too
- Spend a day exploring a new suburb – I can think of at least 30 that I’m yet to visit in Sydney
- Drive to a nearby town for a refreshing weekend getaway – Make a list of 12 and schedule in one a month
- Take advantage of cheap flights and book far in advance for a cheeky long weekend
I would love to hear your tips on how to travel locally and some of your favourite spots to explore in the comments below.
Love, Dana x
Photo taken from the balcony of my Lake View Cabin at Lake Argyle Resort in Western Australia