Over the weekend, I had an interesting experience. I was on the Gold Coast for an incredible branding seminar with the amazing Joel Brown, Just doing my thing and focusing on my vision when I saw a private message pop into my Facebook account for Wild Hearted World.
The message was from someone that saw my profile on Tinder and wanted to connect… Eeeep (Hello if you’re reading this!). To start with, I’d actually forgotten that I had Tinder activated and secondly, I didn’t realise it linked through what I have in my career section on Facebook – With a quick search of my company, Bam… There I am.
This guy seemed nice enough and we chatted briefly over messenger and I mentioned in passing what I was doing over the weekend. When I walked into the event on Saturday, Joel was speaking to me about someone that was trying to raise the money at the last minute to attend. I am naturally curious and asked more about this person… Turns out it was my little tinder friend. He didn’t end up attending the event, Thank god – As much as it would have been an awesome place for him to be to connect with Joel and the other game changers attending, I really feel like it would have detracted from my experience that I had invested in.
BUT it did get me thinking… Does Tinder have a place for travellers like you & I?
When my friends read this they will have a laugh for sure – I have been fiercely opposed to tinder and can not count the number of times I have said it is not for me yet I have secretly installed it on my phone at least five times over the last few years… Usually in avoidance to dealing with whatever has been going on in my life as a crutch to preoccupy my thoughts with some fun banter and an ego boost… Ooh, you’re incredibly beautiful… Aww, Thank you ;)… Mission accomplished, delete app again.
I’m really divided on this topic, I had to write out my pros and cons… Yes, This is how the mechanics of my brain works, I LOVE me a list.
Yes, Get it girl
- Opportunity to meet people easily – This is amazing when travelling solo
- Experience the place I am travelling from a locals view – Hello sexy Argentinian tour guide
- You can get Tinder passport and set up dates where you are travelling to before you even get there – I just learnt this, Haven’t tried it out… Yet!
Get out, I repeat, Delete
- Its a time waster, I have literally spent hours swiping and chatting yet never meeting up… Ain’t nobody got time for that
- Safety concerns, You may want to tighten up your profile and censor how much information you give out in conversation if you’re not sure of them yet or if you hold safety at a higher value than I apparently do
- My initial reaction is it is so shallow, You’re judging based on what someone looks like
More testing in the field is required which means more entertainment to come for you based on my experiences. However, I am going to go into this with the clear intention of connecting with like minded people, meeting up and not being attached to the outcome.
What are your thoughts on using tinder when travelling? I would love to hear in the comments below.
Love, Dana x
*Photo is of my friend Arslan and I in Shere, England